PDF Security, Copyright Protection and Digital Rights Management
Our PDF Security software and DRM services enable any PDF files to be fully protected against copying or printing. We use strong encryption software, file encapsulation and related techniques to ensure that your PDF files can be distributed securely anywhere in the world, with the perimissioning that you specify. There is no need to use the weak security provided by password protected PDFs.
We offer two main alternative ways of achieving this:
- DIY PDF Security Services - where you create, manage and distribute the secure PDFs yourself using our free software
- Managed PDF Security Services - where we do all the work for you, from file conversion to e-commerce and more
Most of our customers want to publish one or more ebooks, technical manuals, training courseware or similar documents which they have in PDF format but wish to ensure are truly secure from copying and/or have other controls applied to them. For cross-platform distribution (to PCs, Macs, Android devices and iPADs) publishers can use our free Drumlin software to create secure files and then distribute these files via the web, dropbox, email, USB drive etc. End users then use our free Javelin PDF readers on their PC, Mac, iPAD or Android device to open, authorize and view these files.
We have been providing secure PDF distribution for individual publishers and authors, training organizations and corporations of all types and sizes since 2006. Our software is free and the services are free to try. They are available as low cost per document subscription services or single-purchase packages for individuals and publishers who wish to create and manage their own secured PDF files (please see ourStore page for more details). We also provide a personalized fullyManaged Servicesif you wish to leave everything to us - the business case for the Drumlin/Javelin solution is compelling.
Our PDF DRM solutions provide:
- PDF Security: Your copyrighted documents are safe as your PDFs never need to leave your own site, negating the need for uploading to 3rd party servers. Permission controls include protection against piracy, copy protection, date expiry, print control, intelligent watermarking and centralized authorization and tracking.
- DRM removal tools prevention: The Drumlin DRM and associated software and services are not susceptible to the use of widely available software and tools which remove the DRM.
- True PDF display: correct fonts, layout, images, tables and pagination provided using our free Javelin PDF readers. Therefore there is no need for conversion to HTML5 or Flash.
- Offline reading: view your documents anywhere, anytime, on any PC, Mac, iPAD and Android device - no need for an internet connection at all.
- Fast, clear, zoomable content:, even with 1000+ page documents you can have fast zoomable content with no restriction on the number, type or length of documents.
- Offline catalogs of books and publications supported as standard for mobile devices, as well as bookmarks, document markup and annotation.
- Perfect for technical / procedures manuals, reference books, course materials, educational books, formatted ebooks, legal documents, picture books, novels and more.
- Cost effectivePDF managed serviceis available for publishers and authors wishing to self-publish books in PDF format.
Please look around our website using the menu items above for much more information. In particular please see: thePDF managed servicepage for more information on fully managed services; the Publishing Guidance page if you want to manage the process yourself; and the Store page for pricing.
PDF reader for Android, iPAD, Windows and Mac OSX
Javelin PDF readers are free and designed with end users in mind. Javelin readers are small, fast, high quality PDF readers with built-in security. To download our Javelin PDF readers simply select the reader required from ourJavelin downloads page. Javelin for iPAD is available for download from the iPAD App Store. The Javelin for Android reader is available via the Google Play App Store. The secure versions of PDF files are created using ourDrumlinsoftware, which is also free.
What is DRM? How and Why Digital Rights Management Works
With a Digital Rights Management (DRM) system the PDF publication to be "controlled" is protected using either device-specific information and/or an authorization process. In the case of a device (e.g. a proprietary ebook reader like a Kindle, or a pre-registered device like an iPAD) the file is enabled based on the deviceID information, transmitted automatically to the DRM of the device service provider (e.g. Amazon). For generic devices - PCs, Mac computers, iPADs (not using iBooks) and Android tablets and phones, entry of an authorization code is typically required.
The process of checking the authorization code is the key to DRM operation and document security. A valid deviceID or code is required in order to view the PDF. Once a valid code has been used it is effectively disabled for subsequent use on the DRM server, so sending the secured file and the code to someone else will not enable them to access the file. This is entirely different to simply applying security to a standard PDF files, since that protects the file content but does not prevent it being passed on to others or provide date/time protection. The Drumlin Security DRM service and the Javelin secure PDF readers go hand-in-hand to provide this authorization process and the PDF viewing facilities, with security controls, that deliver true copyright protection. This enables one to deliver PDF ebooks and other documents to Android, iPAD, PC and Mac devices with confidence and ease.
More about Portable Document Format files
PDF vs ePUB? - we are often asked whether publishers should opt for PDF or ePUB. The quick answer is that they are not mutually exclusive. If your source material is relatively uncomplicated in terms of formatting - graphics, table, fonts etc., then ePUB is definitely an option. The core difference between ePUB and PDF is that ePUB documents are re-flowable, so the format is not fixed and the page layout changes according to the screen size and font size selected by the user. The range of fonts available is generally smaller than with PDF documents. PDFs are page-centric and fixed layout i.e. fixed-format, not re-flowable and the font type and size cannot be amended by the end user. The second consideration is the distribution channel for a document. All the main eBook channels (e.g. Kindle, Nook, Kobo etc) are ePUB format based - they do not support DRM-protected PDFs. Drumlin and Javelin are designed to provide solutions for publishers whose preferred form of output is PDF - i.e. with the correct layout, fonts, pagination etc for their documents - as such, our solutions can be used on their own, or in conjunction with other channels of distribution such as ePUB services and print media.
Please see our "White Paper on PDF Security options" from Adobe, ourselves and other providers
Please see our "PDF News blog" for news and views on the Future of PDF Publishing