Drumlin Enterprise Content Server edition
The Drumlin service components are available as an in-house corporate Enterprise Content Server (ECS) Edition - this can be delivered as a Managed Service (a private intra-corporate Drumlin service) or as a suite of software for implementation on a client's own servers. This latter option is only available to UK corporate and government sites at present, but may be extended to non-UK sites in the future. The Enterprise edition is a licensed offering, tailored to client requirements (i.e. bespoke). Typically 10-20 man days is budgetted for installation, tailoring and initial support activity, which is carried out by remote access from our development site. Enterprise solutions include a range of Annual Support and Maintenance service options. The ECS edition is essentially the same set of database facilities, web services and client software as is used in the standard Drumlin internet service, so the latter may be used as a trial facility for any customer wishing to consider using the Enterprise edition.
The key differences between the public service and an in-house Enterprise service include:
- the encryption key system is slightly different, so each customer's solution is unique to them
- the SQL database that contains all the relevant details about publications and users is hosted separately
- the web services that control the flow of data and much of the functionality of Drumlin, especially the Digital Rights Management (DRM) process, is also hosted separately
- some of the program code for the service can be made available to the end user's programming team, thereby enabling them to integrate the Drumlin system with their own core systems, such as Content Management Systems
- the client software (i.e. the Drumlin reader/publisher software) is modified and branded and a tailor-made version and kit is provided to match the customer's requirements
- additional software tools and documentation are provided that help the management process for the service
The components of the ECS Edition include:
- an empty SQLServer database to hold all the data tables and SQL scripts we use
- a special version of the Drumlin client software (the reader/publisher software) including a customized installation and settings file, plus a customer specific security framework, so only that customer and their end users can encrypt and decrypt their specific PDF files
- an in-network set of Web Service methods that provide the network communications and security facilities used for the service. This in-network facility is typically located on an independent dedicated server or servers. The preferred server location and provider can be chosen by the customer. Currently we operate using shared servers in the UK and USA. Servers must offer ASP.NET support
- technical documentation, implementation services and ongoing support services. A copy of the current release of the Technical Manual is available on request for bona fide parties.
The ECS Edition can be delivered in a variety of configurations, monthly licensing and service arrangements - pleaseemail usfor more details and to discuss your requirements
The Drumlin central DRM facility and the Drumlin Reader/Publisher software incorporate many additional facilities not described in detail on these web pages. These include: the ability to operate a private (user-group specific) service based on designated private servers (Enterprise edition); central storage of encrypted documents; secure (doubly encrypted) distribution of centrally stored documents; user-specific document authorization; usage tracking and analysis; an administrative client, for managing files and users; reporting (from the SQLServer database); Drumlin client software tailoring (e.g. functionality and/or white labelling). Please see theTailoring pageoremail usfor more details